samedi 6 décembre 2014

I cheated throughout college to get a degree for my parents. I hate it and feel bad. How can I move forward and right my life?


I come from a family that takes a very consequentialist approach to education: the degree is all that matters because you can make money later down the line and not have to work minimum wage jobs.


Now, mind you, I entered college with a 30k scholarship, provided I keep my GPA up. There was also a stipulation that I finish within four years, else the money would be stripped.


Throughout the years, my parents would check up on my grades. I lived and still live with them, so I obviously see them frequently.


Some days after exams, my parents would ask if I "cheated well" or if I "knew someone" who had the answers to exams.


My class was SMALL. Out of a 30k study body, there were maybe 20-30 people in my program. Cheating was RAMPANT, especially on calculation-based exams.


People even took pictures of homeworks and previous exams to score better grades. These were passed around in certain cliques. Some were apparently on adderall (which, IMO, is like cheating if you're not using it to combat mental problems, but I digress...) Professors didn't seem to care, sometimes leaving the room.


Anyway, I have this degree in a major I hate so much. I'm 5 credits from finishing with a 2.7. I hate it all. I wish I had never gone to this school but 17 year-old me thought myself brilliant enough to make all sorts of decisions that were wholly wrong for me.


What should I do? I don't like my major in the sciences (geology). I never cheated or received bad marks in English (only A's) so I've thought about pursuing that rabbit hole, but with the way academia is now, I'm scared to even bother. I want to do a second BA and forget about geology completely. I just feel like I've ruined everything.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire