samedi 27 décembre 2014

What kind of design freedom can you permit yourself in academic writing?


In scholarly journals, or publicising in certain magazines you are expected to hold true to a certain design pattern and citation style. However, when publishing your own work independently you are free from those constraints, or are you?


I am a designer by heart and every couple of years I create a new template that I use for future academic papers, following contemporary design patterns. In my opinion, my templates look nice. Not too strict, though flirting with kittenish. I am convinced that a nice design leads to a fruitful first impression. However, I am aware that this might be very subjective.


My question is, then, do academics generally look down on "design hippies" and should all retain a strict - possibly even chippy - style? Or does all of this not matter as long as everything is legible and well-formatted?


Here is an example of the template I am working on: Example template


The font is called Pacifico and is generally border-line legible, so I'm still doubtful whether I'll use it. Also, its capitals aren't always that good - for instance L is not very distinguished from the lower-case l.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire