mardi 2 décembre 2014

Data scientist considering going back for masters in CS


I've been working as a data scientist for the past two years and have realized what I enjoy most is the CS aspect of the job. My day to day work is mostly in Python and Java, where I do the bulk of the work maintaining and adding new features to my team's product.


I enjoy my job right now, but worry that I'll have difficulty furthering my career as I am self taught and I don't want to go into management. Should I consider getting some type of degree? If so would a CS masters at a good program be a possibility?


My background is as follows:



  • PhD in Economics from a top 10 program (lots of math here: multivariable calculus, linear algebra, real analysis, optimization theory, probability theory, statistics, ordinary differential equations, game theory, etc)

  • 800 on GRE math (but took it a while ago so would have to retake)

  • Audited CS courses during my PhD (First year course, two quarters of algorithms), but no transcript for any of this

  • Continuously teaching myself new things through online courses and books


Might it be enough to start contributing heavily to an open source project? I've had my fill of schooling and don't think I could stomach more than a year.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire