jeudi 5 mars 2015

PhD switch and a leap of faith


I am 27 years old and I am already in the middle of my web design/web developing phd in a Greek university department.


I am not happy with this department, has some serious issues. I learned a lot of new things and earned some good money, but all the issues bug me and I think its time to say goodbye, so I can develop my full potentials somewhere else.


I did not plan to get a phd , I started it because I didnt had any better options back then, and because of the money. My dream is a small flexible company that we research and develop new things, websites and front-end modules. I like coding more than writing papers. I don't have the patience to teach and I dont want to follow an academic career, but I thought I should continue with my phd because it will help me learn and ensure me a better salary and more business potentials. Also it will look great in my cv if I wanted to find a job abroad.


Things in Greece wont get better and I am not happy with my phd. So, my new plan is to take a leap of faith and leave for another place, maybe Scotland with Ireland and England being my backup. I think is better to begin in a foreign place as a student because students have more services and less presure than an employee. They have time to know the country and the culture.


I was thinking of quitting my Greek phd and start a new one, abroad. That way, 3 years of study won't go to waste and I will start as a student. And then , when I finish my phd I could find a non-academic job and maybe live abroad for some years.


But I feel trapped and miserable. Is this the right thing to do, since I am not a huge fan of phds and they are not directly connected with my dream job ? When I will stop being a student and start being a full skilled employee ? Maybe I should just quit my phd , find a job abroad and that's it?


How do I break the news to my teacher, that I am leaving and still keeping a friendly relationship ? Will be give me recommendations ? How do I say to my new teacher that I dropped my last phd ? Will he appreciate my honesty ? Will he think of me as a looser and wont invest on me because he will afraid that I will drop this phd too ? How to present the whole thing in my cv ?


Is there a way to transfer my research to my new phd, so I dont have to start from scratch ?


What is the common way of getting a phd in the UK/ Ireland ? Research, some papers and a dissertation ? Will I get payed or pay fees ?


I am cofused. Currently I cannot do much research for my plan, because I serve the army (in Greece is obligatory to join the army for 9 months, for every male). What do you think? What is your advice?


Thanks





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire