lundi 23 mars 2015

Math Collaboration Opportunities for Software Engineer?


Everyone,


I am a former mathematics graduate student (MS Math, U. of Utah) looking to contribute to Mathematics in some auxillary but substantive way. In particular to the more constructive areas where a software engineer would feel at home. What collaborative opportunities might I draw on to become involved in the FOM community? Perhaps I could contribute LaTeX, help design a website, write exposition, or use my programming skills to contribute some code.


In short, mathoverflow has whetted my appetite and I want to get involved. Despite my academic career having reached it end.


My story must be typical: I choose my alma mater, the University of Utah, for practical reasons. Unfortunately, the Foundations of Mathematics (FOM) areas were completely unrepresented in the available coursework and faculty. I ended up focusing commutative algebra and dropped out with just an MS, unfulfilled. FOM was my first love, but it wasn't meant to be. Or so it seems.


My formal mathematical education has likely reached its end, but I want to stay involved. The question: how? I have a lot to leverage: software development skills, and mathematical mind, and MS in math, and a good 20/hrs a week of free time.


To paraphrase, I am willing to LaTeX for food.


About me: I currently earn a living programming in Scala, a programming language with a lot of support for functional programming constructs. I'm interested in Primitive Recursive Arithmetic, constructive mathematics, and low power category theory. In graduate school I chose the subject areas Topology/Geometry, Real/Complex Analysis, and Modern Algebra for my written exams. In retrospect, I would like to have studied Subsystems of Second Order Arithmetic, Realizability Theory, or something involving Type theory in graduate school.



  • Rex Butler


[Disclosure: this is an edited version of the same question posted to the FOM email list.] Also, if this question is inappropriate for this forum please suggest another forum where I might ask it. Thanks!





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire