dimanche 22 mars 2015

Developing meta-cognitive and emotional skills during PhD?


I am convinced that I possess sufficient "cognitive skills" to succeed my PhD. Reflection on myself, however, confronts me with the fact that my "meta-cognitive" (time management, mental discipline, focus,...) and "emotional" skills (motivation, patience, work-life balance, monitoring own health) are underdeveloped.




  • I feel that I am always making the same "mistakes." I am often working hard for days. Stress and coffee distort my sleep pattern, making my mind empty for days. The sad thing is that I am actually consciousness of the mistakes I make, and recognize clear patterns. Nonetheless, I make the same mistakes over and over again. I have also trouble maintaining a healthy life-style. Instead of taking a little bit more time to eat healthy or to go sport, I am always captivated in "the illusion that there is always more work to do." As a consequence, I feel (on average) physically sick for two days in the week -- eventually, losing more time.




  • My "meta-cognitive" skills also don't seem to be optimal. After the novelty effect of doing research has worn off, I have trouble focusing on one subject for a very long time. I often get bored after some weeks, wanting to jump to something else immediately. As a result, I have the feeling that the first phase of my research (almost 9 months) is very fragmented. I don't see any linear progress. I don't have any clear plan. I often doubt that the time I am investing in some subject will be useful later. I feel that I am not really spending my time the best I could. I keep track of my work hours in Excel files to be sure that I accomplish my weekly (self-imposed) 45 hours schedule. To accomplish this goal I mostly have to do still many hours during the weekend. I am aware that this bad time organization will affect the quality of my relationships in the long term.




I also start to have less and less satisfaction from doing research. The butterfly feelings of wonder and passion for science are disappearing. I am feeling more like an input-output machine which has to be managed. The work I am seems become more and more driven and conditioned by external factors (deadlines, presentations, publications, expectations promoter) rather than by internal factors (intrinsic satisfaction, interest,...)


Questions:


(1) Is it possible to improve one's meta-cognitive and emotional skills? How would one do this in practice? How does one avoid making the same mistakes?


(2) How can one restore those feelings of wonder and true passion, and step out of the "routine" where one feels like an input-output machine which needs to be managed?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire