mercredi 25 mars 2015

Journal rejects my conference-to-journal extension saying its copied from previous publication! What should I do?


My understanding of short conference papers being extended to journals was that I should have at least 30% fresh results and content (read that somewhere on this site, can't find it now). I had a poster paper published at a conference in the past year. I had extended the work, had plenty of fresh results with me, and decided to send it to a journal. I would say I had at least 70-80% fresh content and results.


I was surprised to receive a reply from the Editor that my manuscript was been rejected without review. The reason given by an editorial board member is



A non-negligible part of this manuscript (~1000 words) has been copied by a previous publication of these authors.



And, thus, he suggested that the manuscript be rejected without review.


I agree that some basic data pre-processing modules are same in both papers (coz why would they differ!). Some introduction and related work part is also the same. Rest, the manuscript is fresh. My manuscript is easily 9000-10000 words. 1000 words just makes 10% of that. Keeping in mind that "30% fresh content" rule, I though I was playing pretty safe. But this response has disappointed me :(


My questions:




  1. Should I bother to write to the Editor, asking for a clarification? Maybe I can just ask whether the editor bothered to read my cover letter (where I had clearly mentioned about the previous paper, and the overlaps with this paper). If yes, how does one usually contact the Editor? The emails sent by the journal do not come from a personal account. Will it be wise to write to him directly?




  2. After this rejection, I may submit it elsewhere. But what if it gets rejected on same grounds. Should I consider re-writing my manuscript and making it completely different from the previous paper?







Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire