mardi 24 mars 2015

What is the typical PhD application procedure?


Part I Background on Myself


Part II What I Heard


Part I


I am nearly finished with my master in mathematical finance. I have finished my thesis and have one course left to take.


I am interested in taking up a PhD in stochastic analysis.


Part II


1 Read up various literature on your desired dissertation topic which should include several textbooks and even more for recently published articles.


2 Come up with a PhD proposal.


3 Contact relevant faculty of the universities to which you intend to apply.


4 Discuss your proposal with them if they're up to it.


5 One of the ff: Revise proposal if needed, completely change proposal or get referred to different faculty member.


6 Actually apply to the university.


So, it seems that PhDs unlike applications for master's or bachelor's involve speaking first to faculty and then to the school? That is, when I apply I should already have a professor in the university already to take me on as a doctoral advisor?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire