mercredi 25 mars 2015

How can I effectively use 2 years in a postdoc to prepare for job applications in the surrounding area?


I've split this question into a general question that I feel applies to many people and specific details for those who are interested.


General question:I have accepted a 2-year teaching/research position in my home state and would like to look for a job in the surrounding area at the end of the time.


My just-finished job search convinced me that having skills is not enough to get a job in mathematics; you have to show the universities that you are someone they want to hire.



Given two years to work with, what can I do to show local universities that I am someone they would like to hire?



My ideas so far include:



  • Attending and speaking at local seminars and conferences (for research-oriented schools)

  • Attending MAA meetings and giving talks on teaching (for teaching schools)

  • Working together with faculty at these universities on projects.


I'd especially like to hear from those who make hiring decisions on what would make them feel more comfortable hiring a candidate.


Non-essential, specific details My postdoc is at BYU in Utah, and the schools I am interested in are all the 4-year schools in the area. University of Utah is most likely out of my league. I'm interested in UVU, Dixie State, SUU, USU, U of U (though that's a longshot), Weber State, Westminster College, and staying on at BYU. I'm also interested in nearby schools such as Reno, Colorado State, Northern Arizona University, Colorado School of Mines, ASU and U of A, University of Colorado, etc.


I'm finishing a postdoc at Temple in Philadelphia. I've done reasonably well in research (4 publications in well-known area-specific journals). My teaching record is excellent, with very good letters of recommendation, high student ratings, and a record of being given good classes to teach.


I am genuinely more interested in teaching than research, but I enjoy research enough that I am happy doing it for a good position. I have a research topic in a small new area (finite subdivision rules) that provides an essentially inexhaustible amount of new theorems but may attract less interest as it is off the beaten path.


I have friends at many of these schools, including UVU, SUU, Utah State, and Dixie State.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire