jeudi 5 mars 2015

How to professionally interact with a famous scholar (e.g. asking for a photo from a Nobel laureate)


My specific question is:


Is it improper as a researcher to ask a (more famous) scientist to take a photograph together?


Longer version of question


I am currently a postdoctoral researcher and recently had the opportunity to have a private meeting with a famous scientist in my area of research (a Nobel laureate) to discuss my research. In this situation I acted like it was any other research meeting with a colleague/potential collaborator and just discussed science with the person. However, I would have liked to have asked to take a photograph with the person but was uncertain if this would have come off as unprofessional in any way.


I had similar situations when I was still a student and felt that there was already such a clear demarcation between famous scientist and student that it was appropriate behavior to ask for a photo as a student, however is this appropriate for a professional (e.g. postdoc or young faculty etc)?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire