mardi 3 mars 2015

Is a medical diploma any asset when switching careers to physics?


I'm a 23 year old going through a very early mid-life crisis, and considering a career change to physics. I would be very grateful for any advice :)


I'm currently studying medicine, but I've realized that I don't have any interest in working as a doctor, and what truly interests me is - you guessed it - physics. Even though I only have 1.5 years left until my diploma, I'm seriously considering dropping out if I can get accepted into a (hopefully tutition free, as I'm now a broke @ss student) physics course.


I don't know that I would officially have even a bachelor of science if I were to drop out now, since I'm in a European university that accepts students straight out of high school. But the idea of forcing myself to go through another 1.5 years of hard work while I'm slowly dying inside, doesn't sound like too much fun.


So now that I've shared with you the long and boring history of my student life, does anyone have any advice on whether it would be worth finishing my medical diploma - would it be any help for getting into a physics undergraduate program, or considered at all when I apply for a physics job/teaching/research position if I eventually get a degree in physics?


Having read that physics graduates can often have difficulties finding jobs, I worry that I'll be a happy but homeless physics graduate (ideally, I'd like a future job at a university since my interests in physics are not very industrial). Somehow I don't think that being an oldie graduate compared to the young brilliant graduates would greatly increase my job chances. But well, didn't want to give up on my dream yet without asking about what prospects I would face in reality.


Huge thanks in advance for any responses.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire