jeudi 19 février 2015

Is it normal for a graduate student's fate to depend on the success of a breakthrough idea?


I am officially a graduate student in a different department than where I have been working for the last ~6 months. (..(un?)fortunately this department where I were I now work is ranked almost the highest in that subject in the US than my previous...)


For a start, I work with two amazing assistant professors on an exciting project. The work we are doing is breakthrough historical stuff IF it works out. Obviously its insanely hard!


But then its also problematic that this project is so so hard. I get the feeling that my official status in the university and my prospect of getting any of these professors as my official advisers depends on the success of these projects! (I am not sure how to feel about it - its like I can continue in the PhD. only if I can may be also crack the most breakthrough question out there and get a Nobel! - thats what it feels like!)


How do I deal with this situation? The psychological pressure is immense - its one thing to be involved in a cutting edge idea but its all together a different game when one's livelihood depends on its success! Is this a normal situation?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire