vendredi 27 février 2015

What is the value of participating in proposal-writing efforts, for a young researcher?


I am a young researcher already having published several papers, and in the same time I have participated several times in bids for national and European (FP7) projects. So I could say I have some experience in proposal-writing.


I am now preparing my cv to apply for a lecturer position in UK. The question is: should I highlight this experience in my cv (i.e. provide more details about the bids in which I participated, my role, the outcome etc), or hiring committees are mostly focused on publications? How important is fund attraction at a lecturer level? I am asking because I see that this kind of experience is often mentioned in the desired (not the essential) qualifications of the applicant.


An other point of view over the same issue is this: If I have the chance to avoid being involved in proposal-writing efforts, should I? That is, of course, in order to continue with my research (i.e. focus on papers).


Moreover, how can one's claims be verified? How do you prove that you are not over-selling yourself (e.g. claiming that you participated in 10 proposal efforts, 8 of which being successful)? Isn't this part of your cv a part that is less verifiable?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire