mardi 24 février 2015

Can I be a lecturer without doing research?


This is probably a question quite opposite to the general vibe of people in academia, but oh well.


I am a UK-based PhD student and as I progress through my programme I notice more and more that my tutoring duties bring me a lot more enjoyment and fulfilment than research. Thus I started to wonder if there are ways of becoming a university lecturer without actually pursuing research.


I am observing many researchers who are, honestly, quite appalling lecturers and are quite vocal about not enjoying working with students anyway. At the same time, however, it seems that UK universities don't hire people who don't do research - at least I was unable to find any.


Most jobs I looked at involved research and, obviously, usually PhD-level jobs assume at least some level of research duties in them. At the same time I wouldn't want to be a teacher at a level lower than university, since I enjoy talking to students who chose the course more than to people who were forced to take it by the general curriculum. I was also a little bit afraid that in the academic world the job of a full-time tutor may be in the long run frowned upon, as a "That guy is doing everything you are and he is ALSO doing research!"


So I guess the tl;dr version of my question would be: Is it possible to have a career as a full-time university lecturer in the UK without research activities?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire