mardi 24 février 2015

Can I forward the reviews from a rejected manuscript when submitting to a new journal?


Suppose I have a paper rejected from a top tier journal. The anonymous reviews highlight a number of strengths of my paper, but ultimately judge that the paper does not merit publication in that lofty journal. When I resubmit to a lower-tier journal from a different publisher--presumably after addressing some or all of the reviewer's substantive concerns--can I include the entire original reviews as part of my submission? How about including excerpts from these reviews in a cover letter?


On one hand these reviews might be seen as the property of the journal that rejected my manuscript and as part of a closed correspondence. On the other, in my role as an editor I do think everyone would be better off if we were more open about where we'd submitted and what feedback we'd received. That is useful information for an editor trying to assess the merits of a paper and decide whether to desk reject or to proceed with a full review.


I'm interested both in formal policies (I don't see any for the journals I frequent) and in general thoughts about the ethics of doing so.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire