jeudi 5 mars 2015

How to address a professor that makes offensive comments (that they don't realize are offensive)?


I am currently in an accounting class with a professor that has used offensive commentary in her lectures since day one. I rarely attend the lectures (given in a large lecture hall of 200+ students), with these types of comments being the main reason for my chosen absence:



  • Accounting is a class everyone should take, because it's actually useful, not like forced electives such as sociology.

  • Boys are bad at wearing work clothes for work instead of nice clothes.

  • Girls treat their clothes better because they find them more precious.

  • Woman have a shopping gene.

  • It's implied that women (or moms) do all the shopping and cooking.


She also uses many "real world" references, such as shopping habits, that illustrate her privilege. While they aren't inherently offensive, they add to my total impression that she's out of touch with how she's presenting herself. All except the sociology comment are from the last lecture alone. I don't have lot of other examples memorized to help show my point, because I don't see a point in "holding on" to those types of things. I also admit that I don't attend class often enough to know whether this is a pervasive or sporadic issue. I just know I've been put off enough to not attend more classes and find out.


I can tell that she's not trying to be offensive. Her comments are meant to come off as motherly and humorous. I'm also not trying to be offended, but I think factors such as my age, family status, and socioeconomic background are really at odds with her delivery.


My main concern is the clearly sexist commentary that comes up regarding gender stereotypes. What is the best course of action for addressing this?


Should I send a polite email to the professor explaining that I wasn't comfortable with the gender stereotypes? Should I wait until the end-of-semester (anonymous) course evaluations and express my concerns? Is there a better solution?


I don't expect any academic repercussions from voicing my opinion, but because of the nature of the comments I worry that if my identity is known (male), that my stance may not be given much credit.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire