mardi 3 mars 2015

Studying for a master's in Computer Science after a bachelor's in Physics


I am currently in my penultimate (third) year of a master's degree in Physics (in the UK). The degree is set up such that you have four years of a taught degree and graduate with a master's without ever actually receiving a bachelor's. However, it is still possible for me to switch to a bachelor's degree in Physics.


I have been considering whether it would be advantageous to switch to a one year master's degree in Computer Science instead of Physics since I have developed a substantial interest in programming and software development over the last two and a half years of my Physics degree. I have taken programming modules as part of the degree and I completed a software development internship last year that was related to geographical information services in the space industry. I also try to get involved in software projects in my free time when I can but I don't have particularly extensive experience.


After getting involved with some student space organisations and undertaking research into careers, my goal is to work in a software related position within the information sector of the space industry - something I have developed a strong interest in. Jobs like these require software skills but do also specify that a bachelor's or master's degree in Physics would be valid for entry.


So, I have the choice of continuing with a master's degree in Physics or switching to a master's degree in Computer Science. I find the latter more interesting and along with the broader principles of Computer Science I would learn from it (i.e. not just programming), it may give me an advantage when it comes to applying for the jobs I am interested in. However, the primary drawbacks to switching would be adapting to a new university and course structure when I may be able to self-teach the key skills that I would learn from a Computer Science master's.


It is possible to undertake a year-long software development project as part of a Physics master's, although this would of course be accompanied by Physics-centred taught modules.


Any advice about the benefits of such a switch to Computer Science would be greatly appreciated.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire