mercredi 4 mars 2015

Establishing the list of authors for a comprehensive/review (conference) paper


I am about to submit a paper for an international conference in condensed-matter physics. I want to present work which has been done over a number of years with different people. In particular, I want to include i) work that I did during my PhD with set of collaborators A; ii) work done also with set A but more recently; and iii) related work done also more recently but with a set of collaborators B.


In a way, this could be regarded a bit as review of methodology/older results plus new results, all in the same field/theme. All the results I will be presenting are already published in different journals, except for the work done in collaboration with set B which is under review at the moment (note that our conference culture differs from CS, where the conference is typically also the publication venue for the work).


My question is regarding how to manage the list of authors for my abstract. In the past I always presented very specific bits of work for which the author list was clear. In this case I do not know how to handle it given the more comprehensive nature of the presentation. I am considering the following options:




  1. Use only my name as author and reference appropriately the relevant publications. Then acknowledge my collaborators with a slide at the end of my presentation.




  2. Use only the names of the most important contributors to the work in the list of authors, then acknowledge everyone at the end of the presentation.




  3. Use everybody's name, then again use a slide at the end with pictures etc. where the roles of the different collaborators are highlighted in more detail.




I am biased against 3. because of practical considerations: if I submit an abstract with lots of names then I have to get everyone to agree on the abstract's and presentation's contents. I am also afraid that 1. might come across as if I was trying to neglect the contributions made by others and could be unfair to them, especially those that contributed most.


I am looking for some advice on how to handle this kind of situation in such a way that the contribution made by everyone involved is appropriately acknowledged.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire