dimanche 25 janvier 2015

M.Sc vs Direct PhD program?


I'm currently a Computer Science (and Mathematics) B.Sc and M.Sc student in my third year (since I started my B.Sc).


At the second year of my B.Sc studies I have started to work on research (in CS) and I have two (amazing) advisors, I have written (i.e, submitted) a couple of papers so far and currently working on a few more.


One of the papers I have already submitted was quite big and accepted to one of the top conferences in my field, so my advisors suggested it will be my master's thesis.


As I'm still finishing the B.Sc courses (and the M.Sc courses at the same time) I have two options after finishing the courses:




  1. Submit the thesis, get the B.Sc and M.Sc and sign up as a PhD student (signing up will be more of a technicality as I'm [obviously] staying with the same advisors and our current work will be a part of the PhD anyway).




  2. Not submitting the thesis and signing up to a "direct PhD" program which I don't know much about, but it should basically mean doing the same as an M.Sc and a PhD minus submitting the master's thesis.




My question is, is there any reason for me to choose the second option? Are there any benefits to having or not having a masters degree? (thought of this right now: maybe the direct program will be faster if it is not allowed to include the masters thesis in the PhD thesis and then going in the direct program will allow me to include that paper in the thesis?)


Thanks!





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire