jeudi 29 janvier 2015

Is it a good idea to name some mathematical objects after my thesis advisor?


I am doing my Ph.D. thesis in mathematics. I am wondering if it is a good idea to name some mathematical objects after my thesis advisor. The two objects I have in my mind are:



  1. A representation, whose existence and faithfulness is a main result of my thesis. This representation has not be studied before and thus unnamed.

  2. A collection of subgroups of a certain group, which have been studied by others but with no specific name assigned to those subgroups.


I did not ask this question directly to my thesis advisor since I believe that out of humility he would decline this request. Have asked this question to a mathematics professor from another university, who personally knows my advisor well and he says that it was a very good idea. But he was somewhat drunk when answering my question and I am wondering if I should take his answer seriously.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire