samedi 31 janvier 2015

During recitation sections, should I ask students for help in coming up with the answer?


Typically when teaching recitation sections (in lower level applied math classes), I bring a problem or two, and ask students to fill in the steps in the solution. Usually 4 or 5 people (out of 10-15) are engaged in this process.


On the one hand, I think the engaged students benefit from the class discussion, and enjoy it more than listening to a lecture.


On the other hand, I worry that the students who don't participate in the discussion will find it boring, or get confused (because sometimes the other students suggest wrong approaches, and I humor them a bit before explaining why it's wrong). It also makes the problem-solving process longer than it could be, and in that time I could cover more types of problems or just let students go home early.


What do you think is the best practice? (And is it different in regular lectures than in recitation sections?)





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire