mercredi 28 janvier 2015

Whether or not to pursue internship in Computer Science field [on hold]


I'm currently a sophomore working towards a degree (bachelor's) in computer science. I've done web development gradually since 7th grade and I currently work part-time for a college at the university I attend. I'm really stuck on whether or not I should apply for internships this summer, and I was hoping to hear some opinions or personal experience.


For one, as narrow-minded as it may come off, I definitely do not want to leave my part-time job in the summer for a full-time internship as it's just too great of an opportunity to work with the department to develop web application and tools. On top of that, they are incredibly flexible and allow me to work whenever, as long as I do the work and show up to meetings. I can only work max of 26 hours during intersession (determined by a financial aid cap on my income) per week in the summer. With all that being said, I would have to pursue an internship that is okay with me working part-time (~15 to 20 hr/week, I don't think I can do full-time and a half) as an unpaid intern.


On the other hand, in the case of not having an internship, I could put my free-time towards my personal projects and building my portfolio and experiences chosen by me, instead of the experiences that I would have from the internship. I've read that portfolios are a huge factor in the the quality of job you get.


I understand the value of working with professionals in potential internships. I've also learned a lot in the past year at my job and I'm excited to see how far I've come upon completing my degree, but I don't want to graduate and apply for jobs to learn that not going for an internship or two lowered my chances at an ideal job and stunted my professional experience.


Sorry if my question too situational, but I really do appreciate any advice or personal experience.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire