mardi 27 janvier 2015

What to do if I am on a hiring committee and I am aware that a candidate has exhibited unethical behavior in his previous position?


After a series of unethical incidents that affected me directly in my previous academic institution, I managed to move to a higher ranked department in my field about seven years ago. I am now in the hiring committee in my current institution and one of the candidates who is being considered is from my former institution.


There are two unethical practices that the candidate performed that I am aware of. One is that he managed to squeeze in as a third author on a finished paper and he thus made no contribution. I did most of the work for the paper and the paper was finished when my co-author added this person's name and submitted it. The second incident is that the candidate has announced in the past how he has changed his research results before submission to please the editor of a top journal in my field. He did this in the early years of his career. There are others in my former institution who know about it but they find this to be no big deal.


I am considering doing one of the following:



  1. Discuss this with my current dept.

  2. Keep quiet and stay in the committee.

  3. Keep quiet but step down from the committee


For your information, I am a foreigner whose work is appreciated by everyone. However, I feel that I will not get much support if I open up. I had tried this in my previous institution and I realized that only a couple of people supported me. What should I do?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire