dimanche 4 janvier 2015

Applying to a PhD Program not in your concentration field


So I am applying to a PhD in Economics. I am a big Macro guy. My background is in macro.


One of the schools I am interested in is more focused in game theory. They have some economists focused in macro & monetary theory but it's just 2-3 members, exteremely small compared to the other PhD programs I am applying to.


Should I reword my SOP to areas they have more focus in?? I like the school a lot! Do I make myself more or less competitive by being interested in a area a university isn't its best strength?


Two ways of looking at it:


1) If I say I am interested in X and most of the faculty is doing Y and the students and program are more focused in subject Y, less of the faculty vote for my admissions and I am rejected.


Or


2) I am interested in X and most of the faculty is doing Y, subject X is underrepresented, I become a minority and they vote me in.


Which one do you think is the more likely outcome? Should I reword my SOP to the school's strength?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire