samedi 24 janvier 2015

Applying to a new position after a few months?


Last summer, my current funding ended and I had to look for a new position. I managed to find a lectureship at a university. Unfortunately it is one which is more focused on undergratuates rather than on research. At the time, it was either that position or face potential unemployment.


I recently became aware of a position that would be the ideal one, however it really is a long shot. I recently published a paper in a world-leading conference in my field (and on the domain of the lectureship) which I believe improved my academic profile considerably, if compared to when I was looking for jobs last summer. The problem is that I'd have to ask my previous referees to send another letter and I guess that wouldn't reflect too nicely on me, especially considering the possibility that I could not even be shortlisted.


Considering the situation, should I seize the opportunity and think about the consequences later? What would you think as a referee if someone who was hired somewhere asked you for another reference some months later? I normally wouldn't do this but I believe that it's not in my best interests to stay in a university which is not research oriented for too long.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire