jeudi 22 janvier 2015

Quit PhD for another MS?


I've been bothered by this question for a long time...And I must talk this with my advisor these days before the coming deadline of my another interested Master program.


Although I've almost decided to quit after this semester, I'm trying to seek if there are any chances stopping me and saving me out. If not, I will not regret in my future life.


So sincerely need some suggestions from you guys.


Let me tell you in brief:


I'm now going to the third year of my PhD in a top university. However, it's been for more than one year that I have no passion and dedication in my research work. Every time when other group asked me for experiment data or anything else, I felt very embarrassing, even if I already have available data for them (inexplicable!!!). This kind of situations dominate, though sometimes I can feel some motivation in lab. I've asked myself again and again:


"Why I want to quit":




  1. I'm clear of myself all the time that I'm not the one belonging to academic or research area, and I also knew I did not like my major. When I luckily got this admission two years ago, I was excited but then soon thinking about how I could stick to it to the end. Until now, I can't still enjoy the science like others exhibiting their in seminar or conferences. It may be due to I don't care much about it.




  2. I would have thought everything could reverse if I devoted. However, the fact is not that case because of my negative attitude towards the project I'm in. Frankly, I don't like it at all, as I can't figure out anything meaningful inside, and due to many unexpected and uncontrollable factors in experiments, the experiment results can't be accurate to interpret. I don't know in detail how the simulation group did their part, but "Bullshit" came to my mind when they explained why/how they fixed their model just to match our unreliable results. My passion crushed again, after I talked about this to my advisor and he had no answer either.My advisor may know what I'm thinking and he's not satisfied how I treat this project.




  3. Except academic work(postdoc, faculties, staff in national lab....), I don't find any other related works I have interests in industry.




  4. I want to have PhD, because of the degree itself and the title, rather than what I'm doing. This makes me very mentally exhausted and unhappy. Especially when I faced much research pressure and the unbalanced life, this feeling multiply




  5. In my situation, I think this is a waste of my time. Since I've found the major I have more interests and same for the possible jobs of it, I prefer to apply the remaining 3-4 years to the new area and find a job.




"Why I hesitate":




  1. This project will end later this year. I may be assigned other interesting projects that I would like to continue. But if this project will be renewed, then "Damn"




  2. Campus is really a comfortable and quiet place, if I stay, I can have more years to improve myself and learn more skills for more career choices, without worrying about the financial issues.




  3. The PhD can make me competitive, this is extremely good especially for our foreigners who want to stay in USA




  4. I don't want to disappoint my peer, friends and especially family. Although I know this's definitely unnecessary, I still have this concern.




  5. I'm afraid I will regret in the future, although I know each choice can cause regret. It's like atoms overcoming the energy barrier, every big changes can be challengeable and stressful if one would change their stable life.




Plus: It depends on majors and areas,though, I would like to know the general/average salary difference between Master and PhD, as well as their career path. If any of you know it, I'll appreciate





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire