samedi 3 janvier 2015

Is it appropriate to mention personal lessons learned in the defense presentation?


I have to defend my master's thesis in the field of computer science in about one week.


Of course I will put the main focus of the presentation on the thesis itself, i.e. the research question, the methodology and the results.


But besides the evident results, I also feel that writing the thesis thought me some really important personal lessons. For the first time in my student career I think I got a feeling about what research really is about to be - Spending long hours in front of a problem, constantly discarding and revising ideas while trying to stay positive when coping with setbacks and self-doubt. That I eventually finished the thesis despite all struggles was a very positive experience for me and somehow I'd like to mention that in the defense.


I know from other answers on this site that such things seem to depend a lot on the faculty. However, the guidelines of my faculty only specify the hard facts of the defense such as number of senate members, the schedule and the like.


So I wondered, if I sum up my personal lessons and experiences in 1 or 2 slides, would you as a senate member feel that this is appropriate or something that totally is out of place within the context of a defense?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire