mercredi 18 février 2015

Can mathematical ideas applied to CS problems count as "undergraduate research"?


I ran across this thread, in which the accepted answer mentions to "[..] Start on a research project (independently or otherwise) if you have not already ASAP. "


I'm an undergraduate studying mathematics and physics. I have an Associate's degree in Computer Science, and am very comfortable with programming. I'm currently taking a course in numerical analysis, and this has really motivated me to apply things we're learning to problems I come across while programming.


As an undergrad, with a lack of proper training/education to perform real mathematical research, would it look good (to future graduate schools to which I will apply) if I, for example, write a paper or two based on things I do applying mathematics to Computer Science and programming, e.g.- solving optimization issues in GPU processing of large data sets, etc?


Even if the papers aren't so interesting, would it at the very least look good on my "resume", so to speak?


For the record, I'm hoping to go to graduate school to study mathematics, not computer science, which is why I can't quite answer this question myself.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire