vendredi 2 janvier 2015

Job market in CG and connectivity between Computational Engineering fields


I am currently doing a finishing a master in Computational Engineering by doing my thesis at a chair of computational structural mechanics at my university. And I am getting very concerned about my following year.


The key point is that I am very undecisive on some matters like that, and I know you can't choose for me. I made my choice about doing a PhD for some reasons despite my worry of not being able to write a paper, since in my opinion PhD is made also to learn that. However deciding about a domain is very tricky. During an internship a few years ago, I got fond of physical and interactive simulation, such that I am still reading as hobby research paper available in the area. But I like also computational mechanics for the engineering side, the theoretical background leading to make exact simulation. That is why I made my thesis in this domain, in order to discover closer the field.


Here is coming my issue, I have as a result the option to go in physical/interactive simulation which is more Computer Graphics related or going in a Computational Mechanics domain. The requirements are not the same and my fear is to close myself from one domain forever. Furthermore, I have always seen CG area as overcrowded and with difficulty in finding job afterwards on the contrary of the latter, because of the engineering/industrial side leaving more possibilities.


In the end, I think both are Computational Engineering, so it is possible to explain choice of going in one area and jumping after to the second. However I would really appreciate your advice regarding the interconnection in these domains and your opinion on the job market about CG.


To sum up, I think strongly of going into physcally-based/interactive simulation because I am feeling more motivated by the problems appearing there but still worry about for my future employment, having no idea of further professional development in that field except academic. Thus do you think it is better to follow one's passion/interest than already thinking of post-PhD ?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire