dimanche 25 janvier 2015

How to go about "DIY" advanced studies?


I'm very interested in learning and eventually doing some research on my own, for my own gratification. At this point I've been out of school for some time and am working full time. I do find myself with some time on my hands that I can use though. There are not any interesting degrees available in the nearby (physical) area and I'm not going to simply pack up and move at this point. Not to mention the expense of doing the real deal. :-) I have no need for actually achieving a real degree, but simply wish to learn for the sake of learning. I do not have any desire to teach or to receive recognition. I doubt I would ever publish anything, and if so it would obviously be as an amateur (no desire to hide what I might do, which is probably nothing worthwhile, but I also really don't care about rewards, financial or other, or being an active contributor to the sum of human knowledge).


My thought was to try and build my own course of study, mimicking the standard advanced degree structure. There are numerous free web courses in the areas I enjoy (the sciences) coming available from different places of higher learning. Some look to at least get me most of the way there. What I'm not sure of, is how big a chunk (in area/class count/content/focus) should be taken on? Obviously the current state of academia has been finely tuned, so I would like to duplicate whatever portions I can.


I also lack the knowledge of how much mentorship is typically involved. That is something else I would have to attempt to build myself (and is probably the most challenging part of this project).


Then there are all the unknowns... What kind of guidance can those of you that are actually able to take the "true path" able to offer me?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire